Go Fast Bits Castrol Oil Supercheap Auto Haltech ECU Bridgestone Tyres DW Fuel Systems

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to separate exhaust pipes.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to separate exhaust pipes.

If you have two exhaust pipes like this:

And you remove the clamp. (The outer pipe has a slit in it)
    They're pretty much rusted tight on eachother..
    How do you remove the pipe inside without damaging the pipe over it?
    I have a new muffler in the mail and it has the pipe that just gets slid under the rear pipe.
    Is there a way to separate these without breaking them or do i just have to buy a 60 euro pipe separator just for this?
    Check out my Ford P5 1967 17M, And comment!

"The decisions you make, and the actions that follow. Are a reflection of who you are. You cannot hide from yourself."

I'm planning on just using a hacksaw and sawing the pipe behind the muffler and then sawing it lenghtwise to the splice in the bigger pipe and then just taking some pliers and pulling the two halves of the pipe out.. It's going to take a long time but at least i don't have to buy a 60 euro tool to do it.. And for the pipes at the front, same thing but reversed.. I'll splice the pipe on top and take a mallet and a flat head screwdriver and pound it off..

Tiny bit annoying when two pipes rust together but what can you do..
    Guess nobody had any idea how to separate them.. But i don't blame them.. Most of the time people just cut the pipe and reclamp it.. And modern cars have the exhaust pipe held on by 3 nuts and bolts with exhaust flanges so this overlapped pipes thing is a thing of the past.

"The decisions you make, and the actions that follow. Are a reflection of who you are. You cannot hide from yourself."

Comment

Can I post?

Comment

Hallejula I can post!! Hopefully something useful, here goes:

three ways you can do this that I can think of

1. Douse it in WD40 over the course of a couple of days
        2. Heat the outside pipe with a propane torch or similar to expand it
        3. Cut it out and get your exhaust shop to make you a sleeve/coupling and clamp it with two clamps

hope one of these suggestions works for you.

Comment

I've recently had to do this.

Penetrating fluid of some sort to begin with helps. Then hit the pipe around the joint at the 12, 6, 3 and 9 o'clock positions. This should help break the rust between the two pipes. It then just a case brute force and use of hammer to knock the pipes apart. Using a rubber Mallet will help prevent you smashing the pipes in.

If this doesn't work then unfortunately it's a case of cutting them apart and welding new parts in.
          Where there's the will and a welder, there's a way

Comment

Here's the situation:

Things i've tried:

-Take off the clamps
            -Remove the muffler brace
            -Hit muffler with hammer
            -Hit pipe joint with hammer
            -Pull on it
            -Heat it up
            -Wd-40 and CRC.

Only did a mess..

On the graph i've drawn, i'm showing my thought process of what i'm going to do..
            The reason why i'm using a dremel is because i can't afford to go buy a grinder at this moment nor can i afford the pipe seperator tool.
            Last edited by BlueSedan; 21-04-2017, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Please MCM forum.. Just tell me how...

I need to make sure that the outer pipe stays okay and the pipes inside need to be removed..
              Any ideas how?

Tried the torch + vice grips + hammer but it didn't work.

... And yes it's a pipe inside a pipe inside a pipe..

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSedan View Post
                Please MCM forum.. Just tell me how...

I need to make sure that the outer pipe stays okay and the pipes inside need to be removed..
                Any ideas how?

Tried the torch + vice grips + hammer but it didn't work.

... And yes it's a pipe inside a pipe inside a pipe..
                sorry to say it mate ether you do a whole new exhaust or you cut the pipe out and weld on a new one thats all i can think of rusted exhausts a bad i know
                classics all the way

Comment

The best way to resolve this is cut the entire section off and weld in a new one. However, if you are using a Dremel you might be able to cut away the remaining exposed bits of the inner pipe, then get inside the pipe and grind a slot through just the inner pipe. If you can do that you should be able to pull out the remaining inner pice of pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprinkles View Post
                    The best way to resolve this is cut the entire section off and weld in a new one. However, if you are using a Dremel you might be able to cut away the remaining exposed bits of the inner pipe, then get inside the pipe and grind a slot through just the inner pipe. If you can do that you should be able to pull out the remaining inner pice of pipe.
                    **** it. Grinder and joiner piece 5 minutes..

I don't even care if it's not museum quality anymore. I just wanted to cut the ***** off because it was giving me nightmares.
                    Took the front twin pipes off with the grinder too and boom.. Tomorrow i can put the muffler on..

Found a cheap 20 buck grinder from motonet + 1 euro cutting blade for it..
                    Oh well, one week with cheap lidl food but it was worth it. I'm in love with the grinder.. It's so ****ing gud. Why didn't i buy one sooner.

Comment

Working...
                    X