Go Fast Bits Castrol Oil Supercheap Auto Haltech ECU Bridgestone Tyres DW Fuel Systems

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intake Plenum and intake info. Lotus Esprit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Plenum and intake info. Lotus Esprit

So I am going to just knock it right out of the park with my first post. I have been watching Marty and Moog since they chopped the roof off that car to make it go faster so quite a while now. Recently their endeavors inspired me to just go ahead and get my dream car a real " Super car". But as with many 90's "Performance cars" The thing isn't so super. it may have the most " Go juice" out of everything I have owned but the thing quite sucks balls. In fact I dare say it sucks Unicorn balls. 267 H.P. thats like what my NA Audi was putting out before it ended up on jackstands... The car in question is a freshly rebuilt 1990 Lotus Esprit SE. It comes complete with the weakest transmission ever put int a super car natorious for snapping input shafts and crown wheels and a super awesome GM batch fire.... ECM...
    The whole build should go something like this: Haltech Elite 750 ECM, 1000cc Precision injectors, Up to to bosch 044 fuel pumps, forged guts in a stress relieved block, A nice radius'd valve job along with a custom head job done by ME, stainless or titular titanium turbo header,a hand fabbed carbon fiber intake plenum and a ... Bigger turbo ( Looking into whats right.)
    This hopefully will push me into a respectable 500 H.P. which should smash the tranny into little pieces... Just kidding I hope to find a Porsche unit.

the Intake plenum is what I need help with. I live in Japan but nowhere near any decent car culture. About the best performance I have seen is a big turbo dumped into an STI with straight pipes and gutted. I think martys wagon could take em... Thats a lie I saw a new skyline but you know 7,500,000 JPY was the price tag of his mods. I am a school teacher with a background in custom car performance. I am not good with the science and math part.

With all that here is what I have: 2.2L Engine. 45mm ITB's stock, 60mm turbo piping and turbo outlet, stock plenum is 2200cc. I dont know if I should enlarge the intake volume or not. After reading a performance car forum the best I could come up with was the possibility of 3000cc.

Since already said too much in this post I might as well ask is round better than flat bottom? I prefer mine to be a little round in the bottom end.
    Lotus esprit factory plenum plate.

So 3000cc Is actually about right according to someone who is an engineer on lotus forums. it is 1.5 times the displacement. I will be doing a Youtube video on the painful process of CCing the original plenum. Cutting a template and carving the foam. I do not have the foam yet but I will post up a link soon in hopes that the boys from mighty car mods think its cool. Just be forewarned I am not a youtuber and editing was .... chopped at best. Ill get cracking on this ASAP boys but the thing should be finished by Christmas.

Anyone know why I need to put up photos every time? New profile thing? A rule I missed?

Comment

You don't need to put up photos. just hit post reply

Comment

Martin man I don't know if its my browser ( Firefox) or what but it comes up with an explanation point and wont let me post without... also the photo icon is selected in blue and I can only unselect it by selecting the link icon.

By the way I have a brick of foam sitting in my bedroom. I used a bunch of radius's to make a snail curve into the venturis. I have not carved it yet as I am working out the final volume but its looking big possibly 3.4L on the thing. I am trying hard to keep it under 3.3L. With such small intake runner diameter and inlet diameter I worry about sluggish response.

Yeah man its still asking for a photo so I am gonna upload one of the intake.
        It took me 20 minuites to write this...FML I am so busy. The photo is appropriatley labled for entrance and exit of air! Unicorn fart air that is!

Comment

Made some progress on the Plenum today. I gotta ask. Anybody know if I cut my charge cooler outlet away and put a 100mm outlet on it to a 100mm inlet would that be a good idea?

Comment

Obviously something got fixed either in my P.C. or on here as I do not have to post links anymore. I again consulted the man,a real engineer who has a pretty sick car. He informed me that 90 mm is good as the outlet of the turbo is only 2.5in or in metric 65mm ish. I got my positive foam guy all molded up but with one slight issue. I cut for the ports before I was finished designing the thing and they are too high in the foam so I will be fixing that. I will be posting photos of the positive up soon and I should have glass and cloth by the end of the month. Its gonna be sick man!

Comment

Working...
            X