Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diverter valve troubles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diverter valve troubles?

Hi everybody,

My Fiat GP Tjet has been holding back on power for a day or two. Being the inquisitive arse I am I decided to take apart the entire inlet to find the problem. I came to the divertervalve and I was able to push it halfway open without any effort (about the same pressure it takes to push a full coffee cup across a table). I'm not an expert by any means so I would appreciate any input you guys may have for me. It is an oem part that operates magnetically as far as I can tell.

Is this normal for a diverter to be able to open halfway without much effort?

Thanks in advance for the input!
    Tim

So long as it's vacuum assisted, then yes.
    Because pressure on the inlet side, will be equal to pressure on the back of the valve, resulting in 0 force being applied to open it.

That said, there IS always a spring (or a magnet in your case? We don't really do FIAT's in Australia) to add 'some' pressure to the off side; so it's possible it's worn; but no, it's not meant to be stiff.

If it's 110% electronic, and you think it's an electro magnet, apply the correct voltage to it and see if it hardens up.

As an example, the diverter valve in a WRX opens at like 3-5psi if you leave the tube unplugged (that's the spring weight), however with it connected, those stock top-mount valves can handle well over 20psi.

Comment

I've found a service manual in the meantime for the Tjet engine. It is an electro magnet. See picture.
      Could i disconnect the blowoff hose upstream of the valve and check with the engine running?

Detail ive left out in original post:
      For shits and giggles in the past I have disconnected the valve to make chuchu noises. That worked a charm. That would tell me that it should be fully closed when no voltage is applied; not very scientific I agree... but it would make me assume so.

Comment

Well that confirms it takes a direct 12v at least; simple enough to check now

Comment

It was leaky! Replaced it. Burning rubber again!

Comment

Working...
          X