Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is This MAD Idea Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This MAD Idea Possible?

Mid Rear.jpg So, I've decided to present to you an ugly, half formed brainchild of mine for inspection. It goes like this:

Prerequisites: Imagine you have a MIG/TAC/whatever welder and a laser-cutter. And a FWD car. (Possibly another, smaller engine.)

Could you: Relocate the engine to the boot, (minus steering) and move the drive-shafty things coming from the tranny/diff so that they align with the hubs (so you can drive the back wheels, you know).

And then: Set up a new Firewall, cooling system(like Ms. Daisy), steering rack, etc to make the car driveable.

Would this work to make a mid-engine car, and if it worked, would it benefit performance?

And then: would it be possible to reggo? HAHAHAHAHA!

It sounds like you're describing exactly a Purvis Eureka

Regardless;
    This is how my father builds trikes out of VW's.
    You simply mount the engine backward, then reverse drive the gearbox; so you have 5 'reverse' gears (because the engine and box are backward).

Yes you could rego it; in Australia you'd need to register as an ICV (Individually Constructed Vehicle).

You need an engineer report on each stage (eg. the frame was welded correctly, the metal is of appropriate thickness, etc).

Then you need to pass an inspection for that year; noise and polution and such to match other 2020 cars. (this is hard to do with VW engines like my dad does, but we manage!).

Then you're good to go.

VW's obviously don't need to have the gearbox flipped, but it's entierly possible (we're looking at a FWD corvette V8 for the next one)

Here you go; it sounds like you're basically describing this, with a car around it.

Thats the design my fathers are based on, but his are 'flat seat', the pillion area is a carry tray, and he only does satin black with chrome highlights.

It's basically a resto-rat-rod mix. I'll get some photos
    Last edited by Master_Scythe; 18-10-2020, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Yes you can do something like that, but I personally can't see any point of doing that.

Before this forum went to shit because of reasons, there was a guy with a stw volvo and that volvo had 2 engines. 1 in front and other one in the back just like you asked if it could be done. So it was awd.

1982 Ford Taunus

1984 Ratty Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Originally posted by Master_Scythe View Post
        It sounds like you're describing exactly a Purvis Eureka

You need an engineer report on each stage (eg. the frame was welded correctly, the metal is of appropriate thickness, etc).

It's basically a resto-rat-rod mix. I'll get some photos
        Assuming you had the Prerequisites, that'd be easy, eh?

Anyway, you told me some really cool stuff. And your dad must be awesome.

Those Purvis Eurekas look really cool. almost like that Autobot Sideswipe, from the 80s Transformers show.

Comment

Working...
        X