Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe you missed these signs of a dead car battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheCaptain
    replied
    To be fair I knew my car battery wasn't great for years. Because every winter when I got in it in the morning, it would start normally, but I did notice the starter motor going a bit slower then normal.

But then I got a second car last year so I didn't drive my Citro├źn as often and I would only drive that on the weekends, it would still start but struggle even more. Then it sat for about 2 weeks in December at temps around 0 Celsius and the ignition would come on, but there wasn't enough power to crank the engine. So it now has a new battery and even after 2 weeks it starts as if I daily drive it.

But I had none of the above mentioned symptoms.

Leave a comment:

• Master_Scythe
    replied
    Originally posted by ftraven View Post

Do you guys know some ways to prevent car batteries from dying
    Yes, this stuff actually isn't snake oil, and helps a lot:
    https://www.inoxmx.com/products/mx2-...y-conditioner/

Also, trickle chargers are available for cars that are parked long term.

Leave a comment:

• ftraven
    replied
    Originally posted by ftraven View Post
    If your vehicle seems to have any of the following, most likely, you're already dealing with a dead or dying battery.

1. The dome light doesn't work when you open the door or no door chime when you insert the keys
    Dead batteries will not light the dome or create a chime at all. A deficient car battery will show you a dim dome light. However, the other alternative causes may be a faulty fuse or a door switch.

2.The radio and the headlights don't turn on, and/or the headlights are dim.
    If your car's radio or headlights do not turn on and your vehicle does not start as well, a dead battery is usually the main issue.
    Alternate causes may include wiring issues, corroded battery connections, and blown main fuse.

3. Nothing happens when you turn on the ignition key
    When you turn the ignition key, and you don't feel or hear anything at all, it's a sign that the car battery is completely dead.
    In other cases, it may also be due to a faulty fusible link, ignition switch, starter, or other parts.

4. The starter motor can be heard when the ignition key is turned, but the engine does not start.
    If the starter motor cranks really slowly and sounds worked, or if it cranks for a few times, then it stops completely, then most possibly the battery is dead. In other circumstances, the starter may be defective and may try to induce more current than the battery can provide.
    If you notice that the starter cranks at average speed, it could mean that you have a spark or fuel problem

If you want to add any further signs, please comment below to let me know
    Do you guys know some ways to prevent car batteries from dying

Leave a comment:

• SBC
    replied
    These are all kinda hard signs to miss.

Leave a comment:

• ftraven
    started a topic Maybe you missed these signs of a dead car battery

Maybe you missed these signs of a dead car battery

If your vehicle seems to have any of the following, most likely, you're already dealing with a dead or dying battery.

1. The dome light doesn't work when you open the door or no door chime when you insert the keys
    Dead batteries will not light the dome or create a chime at all. A deficient car battery will show you a dim dome light. However, the other alternative causes may be a faulty fuse or a door switch.

2.The radio and the headlights don't turn on, and/or the headlights are dim.
    If your car's radio or headlights do not turn on and your vehicle does not start as well, a dead battery is usually the main issue.
    Alternate causes may include wiring issues, corroded battery connections, and blown main fuse.

3. Nothing happens when you turn on the ignition key
    When you turn the ignition key, and you don't feel or hear anything at all, it's a sign that the car battery is completely dead.
    In other cases, it may also be due to a faulty fusible link, ignition switch, starter, or other parts.

4. The starter motor can be heard when the ignition key is turned, but the engine does not start.
    If the starter motor cranks really slowly and sounds worked, or if it cranks for a few times, then it stops completely, then most possibly the battery is dead. In other circumstances, the starter may be defective and may try to induce more current than the battery can provide.
    If you notice that the starter cranks at average speed, it could mean that you have a spark or fuel problem

If you want to add any further signs, please comment below to let me know
Working...
X