Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMW i3 battery upgrade (60-120AH)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW i3 battery upgrade (60-120AH)

Hi all,
    Did a battery upgrade on a BMW i3 REX, it went from 60AH to 120AH (42.2kWh). I still have to do some coding to get it out of power restricted mode, but really nice to see that these upgrades are possible, and almost plug'n'play!

I'll make a longer video with more details once I get the coding done!

haha that is absolutely excellent

I wonder how long it'll be before manufacturers realise, and start coding batteries to make them impossible for the end user to change.
    I stripped my car out so much it now has 49/49 weight distribution.

Project Diesel Tune:

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...ct-diesel-tune

My new Daily HA36S Alto Works

Martin's Kei to success

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...uki-alto-works

Comment

To follow up on this topic, I made a video which explains all the pitfalls of the 120Ah upgrade.

Comment

Wait, how is this working?

Is there room inside the cell, unused, and the pack has more in parallel?
        Is it a different battery chemistry? (like, Lead Acid converting to LiFePo4)

I mean, getting some sort of capacity with better cells makes sense, but you're talking about doubling within the same space.
        You have me VERY intrigued.

Comment

Originally posted by Master_Scythe View Post
          Wait, how is this working?

Is there room inside the cell, unused, and the pack has more in parallel?
          Is it a different battery chemistry? (like, Lead Acid converting to LiFePo4)

I mean, getting some sort of capacity with better cells makes sense, but you're talking about doubling within the same space.
          You have me VERY intrigued.
          Yes, exactly the same physical size, but double the capacity. That is a testament to battery R&D progressing over 6years. Chemistry changes for sure, the weight increased so I would assume it is more cobalt enriched compared to the previous generation.

Comment

Working...
          X