Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squeaking from front left tire... 1990 VW Golf Mk2 GTI 16v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaking from front left tire... 1990 VW Golf Mk2 GTI 16v

Evening everyone,

I have a problem with my car that i just can't wrap my head around.

When driving it makes a squeaking noise (like rubber agains metal) from the front left wheel.
    This occurs when i drive forward and when turning to the left, and almost entirely goes away when turning to the right.
    And of course it changes pitch / frequency depending on speed.

I have jacked it up and looked over everything and i can not find anything that is obviously wrong, likewise i have
    manually spun the wheel and it does not squeak when it is in that position.

Can it be the wheel bearing?

Might be worth noting thast the wheel seems to be alittle loose where as i can move it a small amount right to left and also up and down.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20210516_105255.jpg

Originally posted by DankDeathPunch View Post
    Evening everyone,

I have a problem with my car that i just can't wrap my head around.

When driving it makes a squeaking noise (like rubber agains metal) from the front left wheel.
    This occurs when i drive forward and when turning to the left, and almost entirely goes away when turning to the right.
    And of course it changes pitch / frequency depending on speed.

I have jacked it up and looked over everything and i can not find anything that is obviously wrong, likewise i have
    manually spun the wheel and it does not squeak when it is in that position.

Can it be the wheel bearing?

Might be worth noting thast the wheel seems to be alittle loose where as i can move it a small amount right to left and also up and down.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20210516_105255.jpg
    Yes very possible for that to be a wheel bearing. Never heard one squeak before though.

Might be worth checking that the driveshaft nut is fully tight too.
    I stripped my car out so much it now has 49/49 weight distribution.

Project Diesel Tune:

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...ct-diesel-tune

My new Daily HA36S Alto Works

Martin's Kei to success

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...uki-alto-works

Comment

Do you have vibration?

A wheel bearing should cause vibration imho and you should've noticed when it was lifted (the wheel would have moved a little when pushing it on the lift)

Driveshaft nut should make a sound in any driving situation, not only when turning left.

So my idea is that the tyre might "work" on the rim since you drive quite a fancy rim/tyre-combination.

I got no other idea to verify my thesis other than taking off the tyre from the rim and putting it back on though :/

Edit:
      Maybe check for air, test drive (you bloody punch it!), check again, so if the tyre doesn't sit perfectly on the rim, it might lose air. Might be an indication where the problem is.
      Last edited by tHe1337cHi3f; 07-09-2021, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X